Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I'm looking for a home security system, now that I've had major work completed in my house.?

If I were to be going away for two weeks, which of the systems would be available to assure security? ADT, Brinks, Broadview, GE, Protect America???I'm looking for a home security system, now that I've had major work completed in my house.?
I use ADT and have had them for 10 years now and they have worked great. I've never had any problems with them. There are a couple of things to know up front though as your are making this decision. Most companies will make you sign up for a 3 year contract. If you are staying in your house for a while, that's fine. ADT does have a moving clause if you are not where you can apply a credit to the cost of a new system or not even pay for a new system.



On Brinks, I don't know much about them. Broadview is being bought by ADT, so don't bother with them. Protect America charges higher fees and some of their sales tactics I have heard are not the best. Here is some information on what some of the different companies charge per month:



ADT - http://www.teepeetech.com/home-security-…



ADT and some others - http://www.teepeetech.com/home-security-…



Broadview - http://www.teepeetech.com/home-security-…



When you talk with a salesman from no matter what company, be leery of them signing you up for devices that you don't need. Most of them will have a standard package which consists of a couple of door / window sensors, the alarm pad, a siren, a motion detector, and some signs. The one nice option to get is a key fob so that you can skip out on getting a second keypad. The key fob goes on your key ring and then you can set off the alarm from anywhere in your house.



As far as keeping you safe, I bet all of the companies that you mentioned do a good job. A larger concern may be who you want to do business with. They all have problems. If you look at complaints out there you can find them on all the major companies. I would go with the lower priced company, which from my research is ADT. It will probably cost about $99 for an install and $32 / month in fees. I pay $75 / quarter but I'm in some grandfather plan I believe.I'm looking for a home security system, now that I've had major work completed in my house.?
Congrats on the renovations. Now is a great time to get an alarm system. This is also a really good time to think about what you want the system to do, as in, do you really want it work? Most of the alarm companies (in fact almost all) are still defaulting to "old news" systems that look inexpensive, until you dig a little. In the first place, over 90% of the systems out there are based on a land line (which many people do not have!) or an internet connection to notify the central station, which is the most important reason to have a system. Intruders cut phone and internet lines all the time - then what happens? It is all about peace of mind. Secondarily, today's systems are capable of much more than most companies offer. You can do better, especially when it comes to Interactive services. Here is what you ought to consider:



1) 100% cellular monitoring

2) Remote arm/disarm capability

3) Special apps for iPhone, Blackberry, Android,

4) Email %26amp; text notifications on anything happening at home: doors opening, etc.

5) Video services - live viewing from any web connection (including phone) and motion-activated clips

6) Smart home - remote light and thermostat control



In other words, the game has changed, and the traditional "big boys" are way behind. This is one reason why ADT purchased Brink's/Broadview. When researching, I strongly recommend that you look at all the reviews you can find, and Google is a good place to start. Some companies have over 1,000 complaints on BBB, so shop hard. Some companies do offer DIY systems that you can add to and even move with you - ADT has not even thought of that! Look for safer, smarter, simpler, and more affordable - you will be happy you did! Oh, and by the way - make sure you get fire monitoring at no additional monthly cost. You have a more valuable home to protect now...I'm looking for a home security system, now that I've had major work completed in my house.?
Do some research on what the police response is in your community. In my town, the police very openly do not respond to calls from these alarm companies, because they are almost always false alarms. In other towns, the police give these alarms a very low priority, and when they do respond to what turn out to be false alarms, you could be charged for wasting their time.



Best thing you can do is update your insurance policy to cover the cost to rebuild your home, with riders for any particularly expensive items that could be stolen/destroyed. Best way to protect your home in an extended absence is to have someone housesit; cheaper and easier, you can set up timers to turn on and off your lights and TV at certain times of day.
For the last 20 years, when I've gone on vacation, I just lock the door and leave. Never had a problem. Maybe you need to move to a less crime-ridden area. Frankly, I never lock the door when I leave for hours at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment