Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Am I getting ripped off? Please help!!?

OK. We just moved in to this house in a quite nice neighborhood. The previous owner had a security system with this not so famous small company called "broadview" and left the system in the house. Upon researching and inquiring about the service by phone with Broadview, I decided to go with ADT since they are more famous and monthly fee was about the same. ADT rep came out a week ago and took a look at the system and said that there will be no instllation or reactivation charge since we can use our system and still get it monitored by ADT, So it would be only 26.99 a month no other charge. We signed the contract that states that monthly is 26.99 and no installation charge for the system. Yesterday was the installation day and ADT installation guy (different guy) came out and tried to activate our system and said that they need the master installation code from the Broadview. he called the guy at Broadview and asked for the master code so that ADT can activate the system... and the guy said he does not want to give that out and he seemed upset (cuz he recognized it was my house and he remembered me calling him a week ago and that i didn't go with his service) so ADT told me that my option is either to go with the Broadview since it's their system and since they won't give us the code, OR install the ADT system brand new through out the house for $200 and he offered 20% discount off of that. Do you think they are messing with us or is this pretty normal? As I said above, We signed the contract before instllation (three days before with a sales rep) saying that we will do monthlly monitoring but on the contract the instllation charge was 0... We are upset and we are reconsidereing if we need the security system... Can I tell the sales rep that I don't want the service anymore since we didn't know about the new unforseen installation charge? What would you do if you were me? I feel that I was fooled by ADT and they are trying to get me into selling their product.. I still have the yard sign that ADT brought yesterday so I think I am ok with the yard sign only... Will they take the sign away if I say cancel it? The rep told me to call him back by today and I'm planning on saying that we need additional time to think about our option... or should I ask for 0 installation fee because they gave me misinforamtion that they could just activate my system and now we are in bad terms with broadview since they now know that we were going to choose ADT over them? What do you think?Am I getting ripped off? Please help!!?
They do need the code, and Broadview doesn't have to give it, since it's technically their equipment.



You need to decide whether you pay ADT the installation plus the monthly fee, or pay Broadview just the fee. It is Broadview's equipment, after all.



Trust me, if you go back to Broadview they will take you back, with no hard feelings.Am I getting ripped off? Please help!!?
ADT does need the code, and they were as upfront with you as they could be, they probably assumed that Broadview would give the code they didn't.



Your agreement probably also says something about using 'existing equipment'. Unfortunately, they are unable to do so.



Yeah, they will come take the sign away, if you want people to think you have a security system, then get one.



Both companies answer the alarm by calling your phone number, then the police if you don't answer.



I really wouldn't have a problem going with the smaller company, you may find that because they are small, they offer more personalized customer service.



Ask them if you can sign a 6 month contract, and at the end, if you aren't happy, they will agree to give the master code to the security company you choose to replace them.

No comments:

Post a Comment