Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Am I getting ripped off? Please help!!?

OK. We just moved in to this house in a quite nice neighborhood. The previous owner had a security system with this not so famous small company called "broadview" and left the system in the house. Upon researching and inquiring about the service by phone with Broadview, I decided to go with ADT since they are more famous and monthly fee was about the same. ADT rep came out a week ago and took a look at the system and said that there will be no instllation or reactivation charge since we can use our system and still get it monitored by ADT, So it would be only 26.99 a month no other charge. We signed the contract that states that monthly is 26.99 and no installation charge for the system. Yesterday was the installation day and ADT installation guy (different guy) came out and tried to activate our system and said that they need the master installation code from the Broadview. he called the guy at Broadview and asked for the master code so that ADT can activate the system... and the guy said he does not want to give that out and he seemed upset (cuz he recognized it was my house and he remembered me calling him a week ago and that i didn't go with his service) so ADT told me that my option is either to go with the Broadview since it's their system and since they won't give us the code, OR install the ADT system brand new through out the house for $200 and he offered 20% discount off of that. Do you think they are messing with us or is this pretty normal? As I said above, We signed the contract before instllation (three days before with a sales rep) saying that we will do monthlly monitoring but on the contract the instllation charge was 0... We are upset and we are reconsidereing if we need the security system... Can I tell the sales rep that I don't want the service anymore since we didn't know about the new unforseen installation charge? What would you do if you were me? I feel that I was fooled by ADT and they are trying to get me into selling their product.. I still have the yard sign that ADT brought yesterday so I think I am ok with the yard sign only... Will they take the sign away if I say cancel it? The rep told me to call him back by today and I'm planning on saying that we need additional time to think about our option... or should I ask for 0 installation fee because they gave me misinforamtion that they could just activate my system and now we are in bad terms with broadview since they now know that we were going to choose ADT over them? What do you think?Am I getting ripped off? Please help!!?
Broadview security is not a small company. they are nationwide. They used to be called BRINKS Home Security. They changed there name about a year ago. Just stick with broadview.Am I getting ripped off? Please help!!?
Can you call or contact the Original owner. I would need to see the contract,or see if he knew the code. Hard call here.Am I getting ripped off? Please help!!?
broadview was Brinks so its not a little know company but yes if they said their was no fee then they shouldnt charge you
This is an easy one - DO NOT GO WITH EITHER! It's true that ADT purchased Broadview (formerly Brink's) in May of this year, so this it completely bogus, the games they are playing with you.



Here are the main points:

1) ADT is not known for their service level. Just do some on-line research on your own to check out their reviews. Broadview (especially when Brink's) had better service, but outdated technology. See next point.

2) The reason you want a different company is that the only safe system is cellular, meaning it does NOT depend on a phone line or internet connection that can be easily cut by an intruder. If either company offers cell monitoring, it is a big up-charge for equipment and monthly fee.

3) You also want the latest features, and neither company offers them: cellular monitoring for no extra fee, same for fire monitoring, remote arm/disarm. email and text notifications, special apps for smart phones, and even video and smart phone functions. Don't buy the past!

4) You can get upgraded new equipment and affordable monthly rates from other providers who offer more - so you are not stuck by any means.



The worst part about your story is that these two companies are now combined, yet act like they are not. That speaks to integrity - and you really want to trust your alarm company!
  • car battery
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment